A natural harbour, steeped in maritime heritage, Dartmouth is the perfect location for an exceptional port call. For over 900 years, sailors have left the town’s shores and it was from the medieval quay of Bayards Cove that the Pilgrim Fathers set sail on their journey to the New World.
Whether you’re anchored at sea, looking out across the harbour entrance, or are lucky enough to sail up the River Dart into the heart of the community, we’re sure the view of Dartmouth will set a spectacular scene for what’s to come. To start the voyage to Dartmouth, please complete our online enquiry form for cruise ships.
A short stroll from the disembarkation point on the Town Jetty, guests will find the centre of this attractive, bustling riverside town. Excursion transportation can pick up within two or three minutes’ walk of the tender point. There is also direct access from the same jetty to the river boats that ply the river, offering a variety of tours. Britannia Royal Naval College, Mayflower trails and Agatha Christie’s riverside home, Greenway feature on our shore excursion portfolio.
But a trip to Dartmouth isn’t just about the town and its fascinating history. The surrounding countryside is part of an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty full of rugged coastlines, beaches and wooded valleys, all presenting exciting outdoor tour possibilities.
Ships’ guests are met by the local Visitor Centre team ( French and German speakers can be arranged), as well as our award winning Town Crier, in order to offer the warmest welcome.
Dartmouth has become a popular port of call to a mix of different ships and nationalities, from international cruise companies, to boutique and explorer brands – many return year after year. The harbour’s geographical position lends itself to overnight sailing from other cruise ports and is easily combined with Around Britain & Ireland itineraries or cross – channel to Northern France.
Dart Harbour & Navigation Authority is a Trust Port and a Local Lighthouse Authority.
Top Five Facts About Dartmouth
- Home to the Britannia Royal Naval College for naval officer training, this is where the Queen and Prince Philip first met in 1939.
- Greenway House & Gardens – home of Agatha Christie, overlooks the river Dart and is open to the public. Christie moved here in 1938 and based several plots around the setting.
- The Onedin Line TV series made Dartmouth its filming base between 1971 and 1980. The town and Start Bay were used, as was the river which became ‘the Amazon’ for episodes, complete with plastic alligators.
- In 1147, the second crusade saw 150 ships and 10,000 crusaders depart Dartmouth for the Holy Land.
- Dartmouth had a railway terminal (now a café) without ever having a railway line. Trains actually arrived in Kingswear and passengers were ferried across the river and dropped off at the Dartmouth railway terminal.
50 21 30N 003 34 40W
SW winds. Sheltered harbour from prevailing weather.
50 20 20N 003 33 30W
Berthing in town = 100m. Berthing at anchorage = 1.5nm
Can berth vessels up to 220m LOA in the centre of town (exact length will depend on tide and design of vessel) on two mainstream buoys with a direct tender ride (2 min) into the centre of town. Vessels greater than 180m can anchor in the mouth of the river and access town via a 10min tender ride.
Up to 220m on main stream buoys. Unrestricted in mouth of river.
The World (196m) – berthed inside on Main Stream Buoys but required tug support to enter the port. Outside at anchor the largest vessels are circa 250m.
220m inside. No limit on LOA in anchor.
Compulsory pilotage for all vessel >50m.
Tug support provided by Plymouth, Teignmouth and Fowey Harbours.
ISPS secure point set up on Town Jetty.
Not normally an issue.
Can be provided at additonal cost
Free WiFi supplied within the port
Pay phones located around town
Post/Parcels accepted at Harbour office
Outside of Platform One, South Embankment Dartmouth
Totnes mainline station 14 miles / 22.5 km
Exeter International Airport via Kingswear 34 miles / 73.5 km
South Embankment Dartmouth
Many in town
00 44 (1)803 832337
6 Oxford Street Dartmouth Devon TQ6 9AL